Sunday, September 4, 2011

Birthday Boy!

Times 2!

Today is not only the day we celebrate Tonka's estimated birthday, but it's my husband's actual birthday! Tonka is a whopping 4 years old and my husband is....24 years old! It's so cliche to say, but honestly, where the heck has the time gone?!? 

I can't believe I have had Tonka since he was just 4 months old! I don't even remember what got into me when I adopted him...I didn't have a secure job, a place of my own, was going to school full-time, and didn't know anything about properly taking care of a dog (I just thought I did). When I picked Tonka from Indianapolis Animal Care and Control, he was 15 pounds underweight and had pneumonia. I couldn't get him neutered right away because he was so sick. Well...when he was well enough to be around other dogs and get proper vet care (nearly 6 months later), he was strong, protective, anxious and scared anyone in his path. It has been anything but easy with Tonka, but because of him I have learned more about dogs and more about myself than I ever could have imagined. 

Since the first day I brought him home, I knew Tonka was more than just a dog. He just gets me. I can always turn to my side, and he's there. I know that a life without Tonka will always be incomplete...

"I am like a falling star who finally found her place next to another in a lovely constellation, where we will sparkle in the heavens forever."
-Amy Tan


No comments:

Post a Comment